5.20.2013

Avon Walk DC

 I'm a little late in my post here but I know you were dying to know how the walk went.
It was an overcast and early morning! 
Sandra and I, bright and early!
For the next generation of survivors!
My finishing point for day 1.
Day 1, I completed half the walk... 13.1 miles. That is a long way, FYI!
The main stage. We started and finished here. It was awe inspiring.
$4,500,000 was raised in Washington, DC. They gave grants and donations to a lot of great local charities, organization, and research foundations. It was amazing to see the money at work and hear survivors speak.
So many people walking! Men and women of all ages. (That is the Washington Monument under repair behind them.)
The amazing Youth Crew that cheered us on throughout the walk!
The SURVIVORS! including my friend Sandra!
My bandaged toes. 
We lived to tell.
 Sandra completed day one... ALL TWENTY-SIX miles by the time I got to lunch at 13.1 miles! She flew and finished while I was riding the bus to the finish on the second day. I had blisters and one that was really bad and had to be lanced by one of the fantastic Johns Hopkins nurses that took care of us. So I only finished about 3 miles the second day. If I was going to be in the States next year I would do it again but start training now! What an amazing experience! Get a mammogram and if you can't afford it reach out and find an organization to help you get one! Don't wait!

This is my amazingly supportive husband!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments: