7.11.2013

I was stuck in a rut...

Have you ever felt stuck? There are lots of ways that you can feel stuck.

  • In a relationship, with a friend or family member, or a significant other.
  • In a job or career, or on unemployment, or in college.
  • In a rut... Doing the same mundane thing over and over.
  • In your finances. Can't get ahead or pay off those debts. 
  • In your faith-life. In your prayer-life. In your fellowship. 
  • In all of the above.
I was attending a community college and I was growing more and more frustrated with the education that I was receiving. Each class began teaching the opposite of what I believed. Anthropology, world history, physics, even art history. I have a Biblical worldview. I believe that God created the world, everything around it, and on it. Every class that I found myself in taught the opposite. There was an itching or maybe it was an aching inside me every time I started a new class and I read "big bang" or "evolution" or "evolved". I don't know how, I don't know why, but I do know that God made it all. I have faith and each of these classes exhausted me from day one because I was always on the defense. Well, I finally made it through 33 units and decided to transfer. After feeling stuck for over a year. Every class would make me question why I was going to school and why was I wasting my time learning all this that I didn't believe, why was I praying that I'd pass these classes that didn't align with my beliefs? Why am I stuck? I took this last term off because I wanted to study Russian (which didn't really happen) but instead I realized that God was pointing me in a different direction. God was reaching out his hand to pull me out of rut that I was stuck in. God rescued me from being stuck in the same battle being fought over and over again. He led me to a different university, a different course of study, refreshing faculty and, best of all, courses that align with my beliefs. He even took care of the costs and all the small details. I know where God wants me and I know that He only showed me after I asked Him to! 
Are you stuck? Wherever it might be... Ask God to help you out? No matter how trivial or extreme you may think it is. God loves you and doesn't want you to be stuck. I recommend reading Hebrews 11 and Jeremiah 29.
God had planned something better for us 
so that only together with us would they be made perfect. 
Hebrews 11:40
Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper." Yes, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: "Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have. They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them," declares the LORD. This is what the LORD says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, 
I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. 
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then 
you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD
"and will bring you back from captivity. 
I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "
and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile." 
Jeremiah 29:7-14

I will be attending Liberty University Online starting in August. Say a quick prayer for me, would ya? This is going to be a challenge but I know it will be worth it. God led me to it, He'll get me through it.

1 comment:

Bobbye Trotter said...

Emily, I'm happy for your upcoming move and that you're approaching it with an adventurous spirit. I'm sorry but I don't take the time to read you blogs on homeschooling because I can't identify :-) I did read your blog on your frustration with your "worldly classes" and I wanted to pass along some advice. I feel that if all Christians only congregate together in Christian schools how do we make an impact on others. When I took secular class at a university I was always able to talk about my beliefs and wrote about them in my papers. I even invited one Prof. to church and though she didn't come she thanked me for the invite. I didn't feel discriminated against for my beliefs and got "A"s in all my classes. I also learned what was being taught in the "marketplace," so to speak, and could converse with others about it. I pass this info on to you just in case you find yourself in a similar position again. Much love to you and your family, Bobbye